Physical injury can occur from a vast array of instances. Automobile accidents, falls, sports injuries, stroke, and surgical procedures (even though they are medically necessary) can all result in the body needing to recover and rehabilitate. One of the key elements of rehabilitation and pain management is physical therapy. At Medici Spine & Pain, we offer a comprehensive and interdisciplinary approach to help patients improve their healing process and manage pain. Physical therapy is a healthcare specialty that includes evaluating, assessing, and treating patients with limitations in functional mobility. Physical therapy (PT) may include manual therapies, electric stimulation, compression therapy, and wound care. Our practice offers physical therapy through our clinics located in the greater Atlanta area.
According to the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), a physical therapist is a trained and licensed medical professional with experience in diagnosing physical abnormalities, restoring physical function and mobility, maintaining physical function, and promoting physical activity and proper function. While many doctors refer patients to physical therapists, many PT patients seek therapy themselves.
The role of a physical therapist is to take care of patients in all phases of healing. From the initial diagnosis, they will provide rehabilitative care through the restorative and preventive stages of recovery. Physical therapists can treat a wide variety of medical conditions, including:
- Musculoskeletal dysfunction: back pain, rotator cuff injury and tears, temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ)
- Sports-related injuries: tennis elbow, Achilles tendon tears and injury, sprains, concussion
- Recovery treatment: regaining strength and mobility after surgery or a broken bone
- Hand therapy: carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger finger, arthritis
- Neurological conditions: stroke, spinal cord injuries, Parkinson’s disease, traumatic brain injuries, multiple sclerosis, vestibular dysfunction
- Cardiopulmonary conditions: post-myocardial infarction, cystic fibrosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Pediatric conditions: developmental delays, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy
- Women’s health: urinary incontinence, pelvic floor dysfunction, cesarean surgery recovery
- Wound care: diabetic ulcers, burns, surgical treatment recovery
Physical therapy is vital for recovering function after injury, and it can be essential for those with neurological or developmental conditions. Not only can PT help patients gain or regain function, but it is also useful in pain management. Those with chronic pain can learn techniques through physical therapy that minimize their pain and help them achieve improved function. For those who are recovering from an accident or surgery, PT can help minimize pain because it promotes proper movements of the body that provide rehabilitation to post-surgical realities.
Medici Spine & Pain uses a multidisciplinary approach to pain management, rehabilitation, and recovery treatment. If you are living with chronic pain or are recovering from an injury or illness, physical therapy may be a treatment modality that will help you on your journey to wellness.
Contact one of our clinics today to learn more about our physical therapy treatment plans.
Posted on behalf of
Phone: (844) 328-4624